Thursday, May 17, 2012

Merci à tous

It’s been three and a half months since Paris, My Sweet came out. In some ways, the whole publication has been very humbling (now I know why some writers say to never read the reviews). In other ways, it’s been the most thrilling experience of my life (champagne, macarons, best friends, family, hooting, hollering, pride, joy…). Mostly, like other projects and labors of love, it’s just a lot of work with high points and low moments tossed in for flavor.

At the risk of sounding like a total cornball, I will say the most gratifying thing has been the support I’ve received along the way. Living in New York, it can be way too easy to become hardened and cynical. Indeed, sometimes I am downright misanthropic (that’s another story…). But the store proprietors, publicists, librarians, chocolatiers, bakers, authors, readers and fans I’ve met while promoting the book dispel all those thoughts and soften my curmudgeonly ways. People are just so… nice.

I’ll be sitting there at a signing, and strangers will come up just to say “congratulations” and wish me well. At readings, people are so enthusiastic about the book, about Paris, about sweets—it’s like a party to know everyone and gush over these shared passions.

So thank you.

From the mother who brought her adolescent daughter with a budding obsession with Paris to Bobby’s on Main Street in Boonton, to my friend from San Francisco’s best friend who trekked to Chelsea Market Baskets to scoop up multiple copies for friends; from my dear old colleagues who surprised me by showing up at Books, Inc. in San Francisco to my fabulous relatives who surprised me by showing up at Three Tarts here in the city; from Chow Chocolates in Buffalo to Third Avenue Chocolate Shoppe in Manasquan; from Seymour to Le Citizen; Lola’s to Sugar Daze; White Bliss to Posman Books; to every foodie and Francophile, and everyone, everyone, everyone who has emailed, posted on Facebook, come to a reading, thank you for sharing all of this. Thank you for keeping me soft. Thank you for everything.

11 comments:

  1. No Amy, thank YOU for taking us on your fabulous journey with you XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What goes around, comes around..........your book has given pleasure to so many.
    Bon weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU Amy, for being such a warm-hearted person and for your gift of putting into writing all the deliciousness you come across :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you Amy!
    Best wishes for much more success,

    Connie & Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. CRIKEY!
    Do you have an Events page?
    How are we to know where you are?
    I missed so many signings :(
    Dommage :((((

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ladies are the best - merci!

    Carolg, if you're free Monday evening, come to Boulevard Books in Brooklyn - cake and Paris, My Sweet!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paris-My-Sweet/234461636589293?ref=tn_tnmn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your book a couple of weeks ago while browsing at Barnes and Noble, and I'm so happy I did! Your writing is witty and flavorful. I dug into the book, and when I realized I was nearing the end, I paced myself, savoring the pages like the last few bites of a little macaron. As a fellow Hemingway loving, European romanticizing, food enthusiast navigating the worlds of PR by day and writing by night in Manhattan, your book was truly inspiring. Paris, My Sweet was a delicious treat! It was a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You deserve all the accolades and support, Amy! I have yet to lend out your book - I'm telling everyone to go buy one (plus, I don't want to risk losing my signed copy!). May it continue for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so funny! I just found your blog, opened it and realized that I'm reading your book! I've only read the first chapter so far but I'm having trouble putting it down! I love it! My husband and I want to go to Paris next summer for our 5th wedding anniversary and I've been devouring everything Paris I can get my hands on. I've never been before, but you make it sound lovely! I'm so happy I stumbled upon your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy,
    I purchased your book after returning from a short 3 week holiday in Asia as I was craving tales of more adventure for which you absolutely provided – thank you. However, little did I know how much I would take away from reading your book! I spent 9 months living in Montpellier in 2007 and can totally relate to many of the experiences you shared in your book, but what hit home the most was the feeling of being truly torn between two cities. I moved away again with work nearly 3 years ago and have had the joy of so many amazing experiences and wonderful new friends...but the pull of family and "home" is always in the back if my mind. Thank you for reminding me to enjoy the moment...and just chill out a bit! I'm sure the time will come to make the decision, but until then I'm just going to make the most of the great opportunities in front of me.
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought (and devoured) your book in the first few weeks it was out. If you ever have a book tour in DC let us know!

    ReplyDelete