Sunday, May 20, 2012

Brooklyn: What’s not to love?

I’ve been having a serious, albeit sporadic, love affair with Brooklyn for a year and a half now. Ever since moving home last January, I’ve been telling myself I’m going to start house hunting there. A big, fat flat near Jack the Horse Tavern is the goal.

There have been amazing meals (Homemade, Vinegar Hill House, Al Di La) and drinks (Maison Premiere, Weather Up). Soirées and strolls. Dates, both romantic and platonic. But even all the love and charm I’ve fallen prey to these many months didn’t prepare me for the explorations of this past weekend.

Old relics and harbor views from Red Hook…
 
The greenest, leafiest, most transporting blocks of Ditmas Park…
Farmers markets!
Candy stores and chocolate factories!
Franny’s!
It was a gorgeous, glorious weekend, from Red Hook to Cobble Hill; Boerum Hill to Park Slope; Sunset Park to Ditmas Park; Prospect Heights and, finally, back to Manhattan. I can hardly wait to see what part of Brooklyn I eventually call home.

9 comments:

  1. This will be interesting ! The Boy has most of his friends living in Brooklyn these days .. he tried but the prices were beyond him at that time.
    BTW- regarding the Boy etc ... things seem to be Just Fine right now :) Thank you & lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy! I just bought your book Paris, my sweet! I just started reading and I'm liking it very much so far! You have a way of discribing everything in a sweet, dreamy and lovely way...

    I'm a swedish blogger and I wrote about me buying your book: http://calinas.se/2012/05/08/paris-paris/
    Because it's just one month left for me and my man to tie the knot and we're going to Paris for our honeymoon!

    Just wanted to say "hi" and tell you that I saw your book by liking and booking Le Citizen Hotel in Paris for our stay. It's a good place for all I know ;) It's THE place , right by Canal Saint Martin... like your friend said... ;)

    Btw - Brooklyn seems nice too!
    Lots of love!
    /C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why Brooklyn over Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candice, I'm glad 'the boy' is hanging in there! My ears are still peeled...

    Carolina, thank you so much for your note! I'm happy you enjoyed Paris, My Sweet and am thrilled you'll stay at Le Citizen in Paris (be sure to tell Sophie you 'know' me - she's lovely). You are going to have such an amazing time on your honeymoon. Some day, you'll have to make it to Brooklyn, too. :)

    Anon, Brooklyn over Paris simply because it's home. But Paris is never out of the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really been wanting to go to Brooklyn lately. I'll save this post for when I do! Where's the pizza from? It looks like my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Paris ♥
    Brooklyn so it makes perfect sense.
    DO IT! Make the move.
    Can we have a 'moving sale' together?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Franny's seems like reason enough to move to Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous Amy. I miss Brooklyn. Red Hook and that abandoned trolley. Al Di La. Ditmus Park. The Food Coop and Cafe Regular. Enjoy it for me. I wish one could be in two places at once.... or four. I would be in Paris, Maine, Brooklyn and Genoa where I am now! Have you checked out Windsor Terrace? Very cool. I still love my neighborhood around the Coop as it is so central and close to the Atlantic stop! XO

    ReplyDelete