Monday, February 7, 2011

My Vegan Mondays

Livestock production is responsible for a huge chunk of global green house gas emissions. The more meat we eat, the more we produce, and the carbon footprint gets bigger. As Meat Free Monday reports, a sustainable future demands that we cut this consumption and yet between 1961 and 2007, while the world population increased by a factor of 2.2, meat consumption quadrupled and poultry consumption increased 10-fold.

"To build a better world in the future we all need to make changes in our lifestyles now."

Coffee & soy milk
A supergreen smoothie: kale, celery, banana, apple and lemon juice and ice. Sound gnarly? En fet, c'est super!

A mélange from Whole Foods' salad bar: quinoa with beets; spinach, fennel and orange; wild rice with cranberries and pecans; grilled eggplant, roasted sweet potatoes... oh, how I love Whole Foods

Whole wheat pasta with kale and pesto
Tea and honey (actually, can honey be considered vegan?!)


  1. Honey is not vegan, but have you tried stevia?:) Tastes weird in coffee but I love it in herbal tea:)

  2. dear ms amy thomas

    would you be interested to exchange links with me?

    I have been following your blog for quite some time and this has actually inspired me to start a blog of my own.

    hoping for a favorable response.

    than you so much

    happy blogging!

    miss vargas

  3. Kale. Wow, kale! I would totally eat that. I have heard it is marvelous as oven-baked chips! And the smoothie sounds delicious!

    Yeah, I am with Duchesse. My vegan friends agree honey is a no-no, but I am not reporting you to the vegan police, so I think you are okay. ;-)

    Stevia is nice in tea, but I use Vanilla Crème-flavored liquid stevia in coffee all the time (my friend's mom brought it to me from the States). It is pretty good in coffee, if the coffee is strong, I think. Also, try agave nectar/syrup. It's vegan, too.

    I need to start doing a meat-free day more consciously. I do about once a week as it is, but I need to be more purposeful about it.

    I'm glad you are still doing this. :)

  4. You're on a roll lady!! getting rid of all the traces of Paris I see...mwah!

  5. Those stats at the top of your blog...good grief. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

    It's one of the reasons I went vegetarian (but not vegan, because cheese is life) several years ago.

  6. Morning:
    Coffee ( but blew it with the whole milk)

    Cherries and plums

    Salad with brie and dried figs and pasta with sun dried tomato sauce.

  7. PS.. we found peanut butter. That tastes like "back home" .. I am having a banana sandwich for dinner tomorrow lol..

  8. You have inspired me to start vegan Mondays as well :)