Friday, October 15, 2010

Karl, but more Yves

If you haven’t read A Beautiful Fall, you must. It’s Alicia Drake’s parallel biographies of Karl Lagerfeld and Yves Saint Laurent, and it’s super.

If you haven’t seen L’Amour Fou, well, that’s okay. I saw the documentary about YSL and Pierre Bergé the other night with Marga and, aside from being blown away by the duo’s homes and art collections, the doc was a little boring.

I missed the YSL retrospective at the Petit Palais this summer. Or, more accurately, the one time I motivated to go, the line snaking around the building deterred me from going in.

But Karl’s Parcours de Travail exhibition at the Maison Européene de la Photographie—I checked that one off my list last Sunday. He’s definitely a talented photographer, more than I ever would have given him credit for. But very fashiony and nothing that really moved me.

But now I am super keen to get to the Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent. A David Hockney exhibition opens next week and, already, I’m in love with the vibrant colors.

(I’m also super keen on the grey YSL Roady bag. But it’s more likely that I’ll get to the Fondation than I’ll get the bag.)

4 comments:

  1. 'A Beautiful Fall' is my next upstairs book once I finish Graham Robb's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't read it yet! I must! The YSL Roady bag is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eli & Lana - have you read anything recently that's sort of the same ilk?? I'd love to get my hands on something fabulous to read.

    PP, you must scoop it up - it's great. And I was thinking... maybe we can do joint custody on a Roady!!

    ReplyDelete