Wednesday, October 20, 2010

French phrase of the day: faire la gueule

Def: (slang) to have a cold or frown-y face – or, in other words, to be in a bad mood

This is a good one for me to know. I am mercurial. Moody. And right now it’s a bad mood.

It’s nothing major. One of those “everything and nothing” situations. I am stressed. I feel stretched too thin. I overschedule myself and know I shouldn’t but I do it any way.

It’s the same with candy. I get in a place. I can’t stop. I know it’s not good for me, but I keep dipping into that 300g bag of Haribo Tagada. Dis-gusting! (But the sugar’s so good!)

And I get annoyed with myself for doing it.

I can’t put an outfit together. I can’t afford to shop.

I am sick of my hair and my makeup and I am putting on weight.

It’s so cold outside. And often, inside.

Work is super stressful right now. Politics and personalities.

On the freelance front, I want more success than I’m finding. Would some editor pul-eeze buy one of my pitches??

It’s everything and nothing. But bad moods happen in every language. C’est la vie.

6 comments:

  1. Now's a great time to hit on all those editors again with your pitches. Maybe they too need brightening up. You will the sparkle they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is a typo alert: it should be "gueule" (not "gueure").

    Regards,

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to me that you have a case of the November blues, even though we're only still in October.

    I feel the exact same way these days and I practically live on chocolate and red wine. I won't tell you what this is doing to my already plump figure... and I don't give a damn right now. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci, Erin; merci, Patricia; merci, Duchesse.

    Each of you just made me feel beaucoup mieux. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gaining weight? You looked wonderful when I saw you last week! Don't let all those Parisians walking sticks make you feel that way. You're probably getting more exercise than you think!

    Duchesse is right - it's the November blues in October. You're not alone, I feel it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Amy, I relate! There are some days when everything seems black and not in a chic little dress way. Sometimes when I feel like I'm never going to sell another story, I look at rejection letters to famous writers.

    Here are a few of my favorites: To D.H. Lawrence on Lady Chatterly's Lover: 'for your own sake do not publish this book.' To Sylvia Plath: 'There certainly isn't enough genuine talent for us to take notice.' On the Diary of Anne Frank: ‘The girl doesn’t, it seems to me, have a special perception or feeling which would lift that book above the “curiosity” level.’

    See? Sometimes editors are idiots. Bon courage!

    ReplyDelete