Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cue, sound

One of the things I love about summer is having the windows open. Beyond the sunlight and breeze coming in, I like hearing my neighbors’ activities: the clanking of dishes as dinner is being prepared; the phone ringing (unmistakably, a landline); the piano being played (oui, people still play the piano!); little kids skateboarding down on the street and laughing. The way these sounds are soft and echo-y is so romantic and evocative, it makes me feel like I’m living in a movie.


  1. I know exactly what you mean.. even the police sirens are different :)
    I can hear the church bells ringing in the evenings, from the Our Lady of Pilar church .. beautiful ..

    I just wish there were more of those sounds and less car/horn sounds..

  2. It's the exact thing that I think about when I'm in my room too! :) My favorite sound that comes in from the windows is of birds chirping-so relaxing!

  3. I love the same exact thing, sometimes you even hear soft music, and I know if my neighbors ever listen out their window, that they would hear me playing piano, so of course people still play!

  4. On the minus side, you can also hear your neighbor's loud TV, someone clearing his throat over and over, a toddler having a temper tantrum, well, enough said...

  5. A sneeze! I just heard a sneeze!

    What would send me over the moon is hearing some Chet Baker.

    I know what you mean, Anon. But coming through the warm summer air, even TV sounds oddly romantic - especially the laugh tracks of sitcoms.

    (I am even trying to tell myself that the downstairs neighbor's baby crying is sort of sweet...)