Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rue Montorgueil, overrun by stilt-walkers and fairies

I heard the drums beating before I saw anything.

But as I approached rue Montorgueil on my walk home from work, I could see a big swarm of people and tell there was some sort of celebration going on.


Music, dancing, stilt-walkers, jugglers, clowns, pirates and fairies.

Was it The Festival of the Imagination?

I vaguely remember catching a similar parade last year on Ile Saint-Louis, with lots of cute French kids tossing streamers and parading down the street. But, for as well organized as this was, it seemed pretty grassroots.


And lots of fun.


I’m still not sure what it was all about (anyone?), but it gave me a nice pause on the evening commute.

2 comments:

  1. You really gotta' love a culture where the parades are frequent and seemingly spontaneous! Your pictures make it look like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw those same people last summer (recognized the woman drumming) at a medieval festival down in the Massif Central area

    ReplyDelete