Tuesday, December 8, 2009

French word of the day: baskets

Def: gym sneakers

Sometimes my dad gets endless enjoyment out of one joke, memory or word. When he was visiting in October, I mentioned that the French call their sneakers “baskets”—American speak for basketball sneakers. It still cracks him up. So when I was home and got my snazzy new Nikes, we got a lot of mileage out of the baskets joke.

But my new baskets are no joke. I love new sneakers when they’re all springy and make you feel like you can literally go that extra mile. This morning, I went to another goofy aerobics/body conditioning class at the gym. Just me and a couple French dudes, doing Jazzercise-type dance moves and pumping iron to club music. Awesome.

But soon I will try Klay’s spinning classes. Mary dared Dad and me to go to an 8 a.m. spinning class when I was home and we rose (tres early from bed) to her challenge. I was petrified that it was going to kick my butt. But I loved it; I’m a convert and can’t wait to do it again (after all, there are all kinds of Christmas cakes and pastries begging to be tried…).

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the translation - it was one of the words in the musical 'Chance!' that I never understood! Next time I can laugh along with the audience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's even better is the word "godasses" for shoes. LMAO, gets us every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercising regularly can improve your mood and reduce feelings of anxiety and depression. You can do exercise more effectively with the best exercise accessories. Buy Best gym accessories

    ReplyDelete