Saturday, May 30, 2009

Chocolate crémeux

Everyone who knows me knows how much I adored my old Creative Directors. I also knew and worked with Bruce’s wife, but never really knew her until she was in town these past few days for work. Now I adore her, too.

We had two fun nights of non-stop conversation and total French consumption: bottles of wine, overflowing bread baskets, filled-to-the-gills dinners. Last night, at Les Cotelettes, in addition to having the most delicious asparagus that has ever been sown, we ate chocolate crémeux for dessert.

Chocolate crémeux—qu’est-ce que c’est?? It was otherworldly. There was something in there that made it really special, but we couldn’t figure it out. Both the flavor and texture were light and fluffy, but also really rich and distinct. Was it mascarpone? Soy milk? Condensed milk? Chai tea? We asked the proprietor, but he was mum.

I Googled a few recipes, and some include star anise or coffee bean; all use egg yolks, heavy cream and sugar (naturally). One ingredient that came up a few times is gelatin. I’m thinking it could have been that. Or maybe it’s just best to leave it to that French je ne sais quoi.

No comments:

Post a Comment